Saturday, October 18, 2014

Campinas Temple and Learning Portuguese

Oi Famillia!                                                                                                               Oct 16 2014

Well the days are long and the weeks are short, this week went by way faster than last week did. I have been learning and progressing so much. Our surprise lessons are getting more and more frequent. Yesterday I had 3 lessons and it is cool because they record you while you teach. The room is like a little studio. Which is good and bad because I like hearing how I sound. The bad part is it isn't very good ha ha . I have reached the point where I have stopped using notes during my lessons. For one because I can't even keep up with all of the surprise lessons and it takes too much time to write all of them and also because I feel like they hold me back, because I know that I know the words and phrases but I just don't trust myself in speaking. So I have found that not having notes forces me to think during the lessons and remember the phrases, and it also makes it more natural too because I can speak freely as the spirit guides instead of having a set script. I am benefiting from that a lot more when I trust in the spirit. And the time that I normally use to write my notes I just study the language instead.

This week I had a really hard day on Wednesday. I don't even know why but I was just stressed out and depressed, and it all started with a unique haircut experience from this guy. He didn't really care all that much and it looked like a good haircut but then I went into the bathroom after and saw that there were patches of long hair like everywhere like it was sooooo bad. So My buddy from London Elder Stanbury cut it for me with some fingernail scissors, much better now.

I can give a 30 minute discussion now in Portuguese without notes ( very badly, very) it's rough but I have accepted the fact that I am going to suck for a while so I am not that stressed about it. I just keep trying, plus our "investigators" are usually one of our teachers so they are cool with us. I am really working on being patient. My companion and a lot of others in my district are really lazy. They think this is a vacation or something and me and these other kids have to constantly remind them why they are here. There are times when I actually get really mad with the things they do. Whenever they complain about stuff we get on them and then they argue. But anyways it is kind of good for me because my companion can't speak or understand much so I am forced to give the entire lesson every time. It is bad for him but good for me because it helps me learn.

It is getting hotter here! The first week we were here it was actually really cold and I even needed to break out my sweaters. But now it's like 30 degrees hotter and I'm always sweating except for in the "sala de aula" where we close the blinds and stuff blankets in the cracks of the door and see how low we can get it. Our record is 15 degrees, it goes down to 10 but technically we aren't allowed to have it lower than 18. I love it but the Brazilians always complain it is cold. They don't know how to use AC down here. Like for instance when I was coming home from the temple today we were on this really nice charter bus and I knowww it had AC but yet we were all dying. Sao Paulo is in a big drought right now their water reservoirs are only 5 percent capacity, so we are really conservative with water.

Elder Aidukaitis..."Gru" spoke to use the other day he is really funny and his Portuguese accent is much better than his attempt at an American one.

I just got back from the temple today and this week we went out to the Campinas temple and it was really pretty. I like the outside of it better than the Sao Paulo but the inside of the Sao Paulo was cool just because it is older. The Campinas temple had an amazing celestial room I really liked it and the spirit was so strong and it really strengthens my testimony to know that no matter where you go or what language it is the church is the same. It is really cool to have sessions in Portuguese and it is really a beautiful language. I feel blessed to have these cool opportunities (pics coming soon). Well I am about to go out and today's p day should be a little longer than last week so I am excited. Love you guys and praying for you!

Elder Hiddle

[r's are pronounced like h's in Portuguese]

Campinas Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment